Pair with Luca Malbec
The elegance of this lush, dark Malbec is a perfect match to the woodsy flavors of the wild mushrooms. The lively acidity contrasts the softness of the gnocchi and nutty manchego.
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bulb fresh fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. mixed wild mushrooms such as oyster, cremini, chanterelles, etc.
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lb. potato gnocchi - make your own using our recipe!
- Chopped toasted walnuts, for serving
- Shaved aged Manchego cheese, for serving
In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil. Add the fennel and shallots and cook over medium high heat until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Cook until the mushrooms release their juices and begin to brown. Turn the heat to high and add the wine; reduce slightly and stir in the fresh thyme. Keep warm.
Cook the gnocchi in a pot of salted simmering water in batches, transferring to a warmed shallow serving bowl. Spoon the mushroom sauce over the gnocchi and sprinkle with toasted walnuts and Manchego. Drizzle with a little olive oil to finish. 4 servings.